Businessmen Yvon Chouinard and Craig Matthew founded 1% for the Planet in 2002. They came together for their shared love and passion for the environment. The movement generally helps fund environmental organisations.
Some of the global issues the movement seeks to address are:
- Climate change
These are issues that human populations have caused, and it falls on us to rectify them.
Global warming is happening and will worsen over time.
Some of the effects of global warming include but are not limited to:
- Hotter temperatures
- Severe storms
- Increased drought
- Rising oceans
- Air pollution
- Livelihoods in the form of tourism
- Wild animal migration, distribution, and behavioural patterns can be vital indicators of the health of an ecosystem and the more profound impacts of climate change.
We’re proud members of the 1% for the Planet movement.
Our ethos perfectly aligns with the goals and mission of the 1% for the Planet initiative.
At Ocean Sole…
- We have planted over 2000 mangrove trees to help combat climate change
- We have employed former wood carvers, now our flip-flop artisans; this has helped save trees as they now carve using flip-flops instead of cutting down trees to get wood
- 15% of our profits go toward conservation programs to save our wildlife
- We aim to recycle over 1 million flip-flops annually to fight land and water pollution
- We aim to recycle over one tonne of styrofoam a month
- We perform weekly beach clean-ups in Kenya's coastal region as part of our mission of eradicating land and water pollution
- We have educated more than 10,000 students on conservation
- We make flip-flop sculptures of endangered species to raise awareness of them
- We have initiated educational programs for local communities in Kenya to teach them about the importance of conservation
- We make functional products from the offcuts of the carving so that we don’t throw anything back into the environment
- Our employees have embraced a plastic-free lifestyle
We encourage individuals and organisations to join the 1% for planet movement and make a difference in the world.
When we come together anything is possible! Let’s give future generations a beautiful green world with plenty of resources. 1% can change a lot, be part of this change.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for custom projects, creative ideas, or just to see how to stay connected & get involved with our mission!
Written by: Maureen Simba